Female official assassinated in Afghanistan
Saturday 14 July 2012
A regional head of women's affairs was killed by a car bomb in eastern Afghanistan yesterday.
Hanifa Safi was driving through Mehtar Lam, the capital of Laghman province, when a bomb attached to the underside of her car exploded, said the provincial governor's spokesman. She had been known locally for going out without her head covered. Her husband and daughter were injured. No one has yet claimed responsibility.
Ms Safi is the second provincial head of women's affairs to be assassinated since the posts were created 10 years ago in each of Afghanistan's 34 provinces.
- 1 If you're not already angry about the migrant crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
- 2 David De Gea: Manchester United goalkeeper's £29m move to Real Madrid off - because paperwork 'not done in time'
- 3 Pansexual: What is it - and when did the term gain popularity?
- 4 Netherlands to withdraw food and shelter from failed asylum-seekers after just 'a few weeks'
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Bono's group has made more money from Facebook investment than from all his music
Nazi 'gold train': Fire engulfs suspected location of vehicle in Poland
Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
Isis releases graphic video showing four Shia 'spies' being burned alive in Anbar, Iraq
A Chinese journalist has appeared on state television 'confessing' to causing the stock market chaos
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
UN investigating British Government over human rights abuses caused by IDS welfare reforms
£16 - 18k: Guru Careers: A Trainee Installation Engineer / Field Service Engin...
£22000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Approved NICEIC contractor is l...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are a small IT consultancy business...
£50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is profitable and privately...