Girl, 8, dies of bird flu in Indonesia
Friday 06 July 2012
An eight-year-old girl has died of bird flu in Indonesia - the country's eighth death from the disease this year.
The health ministry said the girl, from the West Java district of Karawang, died on Tuesday in a Jakarta hospital which had been treating her since 28 June.
She first developed a fever on 18 June, one day before going on holiday to Singapore, where a doctor diagnosed her with laryngitis, the ministry said on its website.
She returned five days later and was treated at a Karawang hospital before being transferred to Jakarta.
The ministry says the girl might have had contact with slaughtered chickens she and her father bought from a local market.
Bird flu has killed more than 350 people worldwide. Indonesia accounts for 158 of the deaths.
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...