Huge search begins for tsunami victims
Monday 25 April 2011
Japanese troops have launched the biggest search yet for bodies still missing from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, which has left huge swathes of the country’s coastal communities in ruins.
Over 25,000 Self-Defence Force soldiers, police and coastguard officers began the two-day operation yesterday to find the nearly 12,000 missing victims of the disaster across Japan’s devastated northeast.
The massive search is being joined by the US military, Japanese navy divers, underwater robots and 90 helicopters that will scour the seas off hundreds of miles of coastline, said state broadcaster NHK.
Last month’s tsunami buried thousands of victims under mud or washed them out to sea before depositing them ashore again, in some cases dozens of miles away. Many bodies are unrecognisable after nearly six weeks in saltwater, Defence Ministry spokesman Norikazu Muratani said.
But he told Kyodo News that the search must continue. “We want to recover them and return them to their families.”
Troops and police have confirmed the deaths of 14,300 people but two earlier searches have produced dwindling results.
The last operation located fewer than 100 bodies and the authorities now fear that many victims will never be found: The bodies of nearly a quarter of the 164,000 people who died in the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami have not been recovered.
“Some families want to see their loved-ones one last time so they can say goodbye,” said Naomi Fujino, who lost her father when the tsunami struck her hometown of Rikuzen-takata. “But I don’t want to see my father. I don’t think I could stand it so it’s better that he is left in peace at sea.”
Police in radiation suits only recently began the search for bodies inside the irradiated area around the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. The authorities yesterday said they were considering a mass cull of thousands of farm animals abandoned by their owners in the 20km evacuation zone.
Thousands of evacuees from the zone were yesterday told they would be allowed a single five-hour visit from next week to check their properties and pick up belongings. They are still waiting to hear if they can take abandoned pets.
Prime Minister Naoto Kan said only one member of each family would be allowed a visit; young children and pensioners are also banned from the zone, which was designated a no-go area last week.
“Since we are dealing with more than 26,000 households, we cannot (finish the
visits) all at once,” he told parliament. “It will take a considerable amount of time.”
Mr Kan is coming in for fierce parliamentary criticism for his government’s handing of the disaster aftermath and nuclear crisis. His ruling Democrats (DPJ) lost in seven out of 10 posts in local mayoral elections held over the weekend. The Democrats also performed poorly in city and prefectural polls two weeks ago - their first electoral test since the disaster.
Mr Kan yesterday defended his performance. “I can say with confidence that there was absolutely no error in our initial response,” he said. But he promised to ‘‘thoroughly review” plans construct at least 14 new reactors by 2030, part of a huge expansion of nuclear power.
- 1 Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
- 2 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 3 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
Edgar Froese dead: Tangerine Dream founder dies aged 70
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Syrian refugee child beaten by Istanbul Burger King manager for eating customer’s leftover food
Iraq invasion 2003: The bloody warnings six wise men gave to Tony Blair as he prepared to launch poorly planned campaign
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: OXFORD - REGIONAL FIRM - An excellent opportu...
Super Package: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - SENIOR CLINICAL NEGLIGENCE - An outstan...
£15000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Fantastic opportunities are ava...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Compute Engineer is required to join a globa...