In pictures: After the tsunami and earthquake, Fukushima remains in ruins
Tuesday 12 March 2013
Two years on from the tsunami and earthquake that devastated Japan, startling photos have emerged of the areas ravaged by the Fukushima nuclear disaster that followed.
Images from Namie and other towns outside the nuclear exclusion zone, surrounding the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, paint a bleak picture of the abandoned areas.
At the time residents were forced to flee and now can only return for short visits due to the levels of radiation contamination.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: Thousands evacuated along East Coast as more surge tides forecast
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
up to £32,000 with an OTE of £50,000: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green...
£30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£16 - £18 per hour: Morgan Hunt: The successful candidate will be a time serve...