Indian court fails to see funny side of laughter
A court has ordered a laughter club to stop guffawing so loudly, after a neighbour complained of suffering "mental agony".
The group's president, Sadanand Ghate, said they were seeking peace rather than disturbing it, but the court was unimpressed and they have been ordered to make less noise.
Madan Kataria, a physician, claims to have founded the first laughter-yoga club in Mumbai in the 1990s, based on the notion that laughter confers physiological and psychological benefits. His website says there are more than 6,000 laughter clubs worldwide.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British man faces court after confessing to slitting two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 2 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 3 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Mourinho will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 4 Civil partnerships amendment 'could wreck' gay marriage Bill and cost taxpayer £4bn, Government sources warn
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£90 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Southampton: Randstad Education are loo...
£90 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Southampton: Randstad Education Southam...
£65 - £100 per annum: Randstad Education London: We are currently looking for ...
£90 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Southampton: Are you a Newly Qualified ...