Indian teacher lands £6bn 'bonus'
A school teacher became a billionaire overnight after a bank deposited 490bn rupees (£6.3bn) into his account by mistake.
Parijat Saha, from West Bengal, discovered the error when he went to an ATM to check his balance, expecting it to be about £130.
The teacher, from Balurghat, who earns around £450 a month, said he phoned a friend at the State Bank of India straight away to point out the error. The bank declined to comment on how the money came to be in the account, but the funds were said to be "uncleared", which means the money could not have been withdrawn.
"Even though I got my money back, the account still holds the billions of dollars as an uncleared amount," said Mr Saha. "I don't know how long I'll have to keep that astronomical figure in my account."
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...