Japan condemned for plans to review Second World War sex-slave apology
1993 apology was considered a landmark achievement
Saturday 01 March 2014
Japan faces international isolation, and condemnation, if it continues plans to withdraw its official apology for forcing of thousands women to work in military brothels before and during the Second World War, South Korea’s president claimed today.
President Park Geun-hye’s warning was made in a speech marking the anniversary of a 1919 uprising against Japanese rule of the Korean peninsula.
The administration of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe announced on Friday that it would consider setting up a panel to review the evidence for an apology made in 1993.
Around 200,000 women, mostly from China and Korea, and also, in fewer numbers, from the Philippines, Indonesia and Taiwan, are believed to have been forced to become sex slaves.
“Historical truth is in testimony from the survivors. Japan would only bring isolation on itself if it turns a deaf ear to their testimony and sweeps it under the rug,” Ms Park said. She said Japan should repent for its wrongs in the past so the two nations can “move forward for a new era of cooperation, peace and prosperity”.
The remarks coincided with the opening in Seoul of a rare exhibition on the “comfort women” – as those who were forced to work in Japanese military brothels were known.
Mr Abe sparked controversy in his first term as PM by remarking there was no evidence that the Japanese had directly coerced women into sex slavery.
The Japan Times reported that right-wing politicians have aggravated South Koreans by questioning evidence behind the claims and some think that the Japanese are not appropriately remorseful.
The 1993 apology was considered a landmark achievement. It acknowledged that women had been coerced, and that the Japanese military had been involved in the establishment and management of the process.
However, although a Japanese government spokesman said on Friday that a team would “re-examine and understand the background”, he did not reveal whether an new statement would be made afterwards. Two former Japanese PMs have expressed their concern over the move.
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
- 5 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Prince Philip set to be knighted by Australia: Celebrate by reading his greatest gaffes
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
£38000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's best performing...
£35000 - £43000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Our award-winning client is one...
£15000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of Atlas ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...