An Afghan official says a Nato airstrike has killed 14 people — all women and children — and wounded six in the volatile southwest Helmand province.
Dawood Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial government, said on Sunday that the strike took place in Nawzad district.
He says Nato was targeting insurgents there late on Saturday but instead struck two civilian homes, killing two women, five girls and seven boys.
According to Ahmadi, the strike followed an insurgent attack on a US Marine base in Nawzad earlier on Saturday.
A Nato spokesman, Maj. Tim James, says he is aware of the reports of civilian casualties in Nawzad. He says alliance and Afghan troops are inspecting the site and will release additional information later.Reuse content