A trial of seven Pakistanis suspected in last year's attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai was delayed after lawyers went on strike to protest against a militant attack near Pakistan's military headquarters.
In the most daring attack since October, two suicide bombers yesterday blew themselves up at a mosque and two other militants fired on worshippers in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, killing at least 40 people.
India has been pushing for swift justice against the seven suspects accused of playing a role in the Mumbai rampage which killed 166 people.
India blames Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) for the Mumbai attacks and has broken off talks with the neighbour, saying Islamabad must first act against militants operating from its soil, including the LeT.
A lawyer for one of the seven men charged last month with involvement in the Mumbai attacks told Reuters that the trial would start on December 12.
"There was no proceeding today because of the strike by lawyers in Rawalpindi so that's why now it was fixed for next Saturday," lawyer Shahbaz Rajput said. He said the trial was also delayed because the judge was out of town.
A Pakistani court indicted the men on terror charges in connection with the Mumbai attacks.Reuse content