Plea to halt expat Nancy Kissel's murder trial
Tuesday 02 November 2010
Lawyers for an American woman accused of drugging then bludgeoning her banker husband to death in their Hong Kong apartment seven years ago urged a judge yesterday to stop her retrial.
Nancy Kissel was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in September 2005, but Hong Kong's Court of Final Appeal overturned the verdict in February. The court found prosecutors improperly cross-examined the 46-year-old from Adrian, Michigan, and the trial judge wrongly allowed hearsay evidence.
Lawyers for Ms Kissel argued that the court should grant an application to have the case thrown out altogether. The hearing is expected to last five days.
Ms Kissel's first trial grabbed headlines around the world with its juicy detail on the breakdown of a wealthy expatriate marriage. It spawned two books and a television special.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...