Six policemen killed in north-west Pakistan
Monday 15 October 2012
Six policemen were killed when more than 100 militants attacked a police station in north-west Pakistan, an official said today.
Two of the police officers were beheaded.
Police spokesman Ishrat Yar said the attack near the city of Peshawar started late last night and triggered a gun battle which lasted for several hours.
The militants were armed with heavy machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades, hand grenades and assault rifles.
Mr Yar said a further 12 policemen were injured in the attack in the small town of Matni, some 12 miles (20km) south of Peshawar.
One of those beheaded was a senior official who commanded several police stations in the area.
Mr Yar says the militants burned the police station and four police vehicles before escaping.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Kim Kardashian on Bruce Jenner's 'story': 'We support him no matter what, and I think when the time is right, he'll talk'
- 3 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
£40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A reputable organisation within the leisure i...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: I am currently working in partnersh...
£96000 - £200000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Looking for a better earning p...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly expanding company in ...