Stunning images show crowds standing just inches from huge wave as it bursts through giant dam on China's Yellow River
Despite looking like a scene from a disaster movie, the spectacle is actually a meticulously-planned method of transporting silt
Stunning new images have captured the moment onlookers stood just inches away from a huge wave as it burst through a dam on China's Yellow River.
Despite looking like a scene from a disaster movie, the spectacle is actually a meticulously-planned method of transporting silt, with bystanders at risk of little more than a soaking.
In fact, the large-scale silt-shifting operation has become something of a tourist attraction, drawing large crowds who, umbrellas aloft, watch the waves crash through purpose-built holes in the huge dam.
The system allows around 30 million tonnes of the suspended sediment to be relocated every year, with close to 390 tonnes shifted since operations began in the Luoyang section of the Yellow River 13 years ago.
Video: Sand-washing at giant dam in China
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...