Suicide bomber kills 25 in east Afghanistan
A suicide bomber killed at least 25 civilians and wounded another 30 at a funeral for a village elder in a remote part of eastern Afghanistan, Afghan officials said.
Ahmad Zia Abdul Zai, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said the attack took place today in the village of Shagai in the Durbaba district of eastern Nangarhar province. He and other officials said at least 25 people were killed.
Initial reports had at least 10 civilians killed. Zai and police later said more than a dozen people died of their injuries.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility There has been fighting against Taliban and other insurgents in the mountainous region located just across the border from some of Pakistan's lawless tribal areas.
Latifullah, the police chief's secretary who goes by one name, said the target was apparently Durbaba district chief Hamisha Gul, who was attending the funeral for the village chief and ranking elder.
Gul survived the attack, said deputy police chief for Nangarhar province, Jamil Shamal, but his son was killed when he tried to stop the bomber by grabbing him.
The Taliban often target government officials at public functions, including funerals and weddings.
Civilians are often the victims of suicide attacks. On 14 August, dozens of people were killed in suicide attacks in northern and southern Afghanistan.
A recent UN report said 1,145 civilians were killed and 1,954 others injured during the first half of the year, 80 per cent of them by militants.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...