Suu Kyi's party urged to register
Saturday 13 August 2011
Burma's government urged the pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi to officially register her National League for Democracy as a party yesterday, a step that would imply its acceptance of the government's legitimacy and also allow it legally to take part in politics.
Information Minister Kyaw Hsan's suggestion came two days before Ms Suu Kyi plans to make her first political foray into the countryside since her release from seven years of house arrest.
If Ms Suu Kyi's group reaches an accommodation with the government, it could serve as a reason for Western nations to lift political and economic embargoes.
- 1 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Kensington flat branded ‘uninhabitable’ by estate agent on sale for a bargain £600,000
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
Enormous wasps' nest covering bed found in woman's spare room
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading liquidity p...
£50 - £60 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant We are...
£45000 - £60000 Per Annum + benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Scrum M...
£25000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Junior As...