Terrifying, beautiful and deadly
Indonesia's mount Lokon spewed hot lava and volcanic ash 1,500 metres into the sky in the north of Sulawesi island yesterday, prompting panicked residents to flee the area.
"The eruption has set ablaze the forests around the crater," said Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency. There are no immediate reports of casualties.
The first major eruption of the 1,579-metre-high volcano, just before midnight on Thursday, woke up residents who fled. The government plans to give masks and tents to people who have sought refuge in school buildings.
The Centre of Vulcanology and Disaster Mitigation has raised the status of the volcano to its highest alert level, advising evacuation for about 28,000 people who live within 3.5km of the crater.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C# Winfo...
£40000 - £55000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior C...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Senior A...