Xiaolian: Chinese man grows new nose for transplant on his forehead
Photos have emerged showing the nose growing on his forehead
A Chinese man is under-going a pioneering transplant using a nose grown on his forehead, following an accident last year.
The patient, 22-year-old Xiaolian, suffered an infection after failing to seek medical advice in the aftermath of a car crash in 2012.
The infection corroded away cartilage, making it impossible for surgeons to repair his original nose.
His new nose was created by medical staff at at hospital in Fuzhou, Fujian province. Doctors used a skin tissue expander placed on his forehead to create the shape, and planted cartilage from his ribs to produce the structure.
The new nose is said to be ready for transplant surgery in the near future, according to surgeons at the hospital.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...