Yemeni 'linked to Pearl killing' suspect
Wednesday 18 September 2002
A Yemeni militant suspected of involvement in the murder of the Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was among the men seized with the self-confessed 11 September plotter Ramzi bin al-Shibh, officials said yesterday.
A senior Pakistani police official told reporters that the man was identified by Fazal Karim, one of three Pakistanis held in connection with Mr Pearl's death but not yet charged. After his arrestlast week, Mr Karim was taken to a house where 10 al-Qa'ida suspects were held. There, he identified the man as one of three Arabs who killed Mr Pearl. The official refused to name the accused, but said he was not among the five, including Mr bin al-Shibh, transferred to US custody and flown out of Pakistan.
Mr Pearl, 38, was kidnapped in Karachi last January while investigating links between Pakistani extremists and the alleged British "shoe bomber" Richard Reid. His decapitated body was foundlater. Four men, including British-born Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, were convicted of the murder in July. Mr Saeed was sentenced to death and the others received life sentences. All four have appealed.
* The pan-Arab satellite television station al-Jazeera says one of its employees is being detained with al-Qa'ida suspects at the Guantanamo Bay US naval base in Cuba. Sami al-Haj, a Sudanese assistant cameraman, was arrested in Afghanistan in December.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...