Zardari hanging pardon 'is illegal'
A court has barred President Asif Ali Zardari from pardoning a Christian woman sentenced to death for insulting the Prophet Mohamed.
The chief justice of the Lahore High Court said a pardon was illegal as the court was already hearing Asia Bibi's appeal.
"We argued that since the death sentence given by the trial court to Asia Bibi has yet to be confirmed or rejected by the High Court, the President could not use his power at this stage," said lawyer Allah Bakhsha Leghari.
Ms Bibi, who has five children, was convicted of blasphemy.
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
British man arrested after children found with slit throats in France
World news in pictures
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...