Athlete who carries Palestinians' first Olympic hopes to Atlanta
Thursday 11 July 1996
A record 197 countries will be competing in the Olympic Games this year, 26 of them for the first time. It is the largest number of countries and territories ever to compete, a product of the splintering of states and claims for independence that have remade the world over the past four years. The first modern Olympics, in Athens in 1896, hosted just 13 countries.
The Palestinian Authority is not yet a state. But its status as an independent territory makes it eligible for the Olympics. The Palestinians have been trying for 20 years - since Montreal in 1976 - to establish a team. Indeed, a Palestine Olympic Committee was one of the first things established after the late Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin and the Palestinian leader, Yasser Arafat, signed a peace agreement in 1993. It is a long way from 1972, when Palestinian guerrillas massacred 11 Israeli athletes at the Munich games.
Other newcomers at Atlanta will include Cambodia, small Caribbean, African and Pacific territories and 17 newly independent countries: former Soviet and Yugoslav republics, the two halves of former Czechoslovakia, and Palestine. Some failed to make it before for reasons of politics, money, or lack of sporting prowess. For the first time in the Olympics' 100-year history, every country accepted its invitation.
Photograph: Adel Hana/AP
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...