Girl, 3, survives alone as mother dies
Saturday 05 November 2011
A three-year-old girl, left alone for two days after her mother died unexpectedly at their home, lived on cheese, leftover lasagna and milk, and comforted herself with her teddy bear.
The girl's uncle, Pete Silbery, said yesterday that the family last spoke to the mother, Lauren Silbery, right, on 19 October. Two days later, they were worried enough to call a friend who lived near the 28-year-old's home in home Wellington. The friend could see Ms Silbery's daughter, Shylah, inside but not the mother, prompting the family to call police. Shylah was coaxed into dragging a table to the door so she could reach the lock and open the door. She told police: "Mummy won't wake up."
"I can only imagine her in there for that long, trying to wake Mum up as well," Mr Silbery said. He said Shylah endured the two days alone by finding food in the fridge and holding her teddy bear, named "Possum".
Police are awaiting the results of a post-mortem examination but do not believe Ms Silbery's death was suspicious.
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...