Avon lady still ringing bells at 100
Saturday 04 May 1996
"I feel like I did when I was 16," Ms Gries said on her birthday on Thursday. "I don't feel my age. I can't believe it."
Some things have changed in the 58 years she has been selling for Avon - she hires a driver for her twice-monthly rounds, and she does not see or hear as well as she used to.
Nonetheless, Ms Gries has vowed to sell Avon for "as long as I can walk". She has about 25 customers in the sparsely populated area of North Dakota where she lives.
Ms Gries has gained fame for her long service - even making a television appearance on The Tonight Show in 1986.
Avon paid tribute to its oldest salesperson by throwing a party for Ms Gries."Tomorrow starts a new day and then I have to start over again," she said.
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
How China's richest man Li Hejun lost $15bn in an hour - and made a fortune
Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...