Barak and Arafat to meet
Saturday 03 July 1999
He told the Palestinian leader he would follow in the footsteps of the murdered Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin to end the Israeli-Arab conflict and bring peace to the region. The two leaders agreed to meet shortly after Mr Barak's government takes office next week.
The two had not talked since Mr Arafat called Mr Barak to congratulate him on his 17 May election win. Mr Barak has since been criticised by the Palestinians for not making contact with Mr Arafat again.
Yesterday Mr Barak assured Mr Arafat he would conduct negotiations simultaneously with the Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese, apparently trying to assuage Palestinian fears that he would move forward on the Syrian track and leave them behind. (AP)
- 1 This is what happens when you tattoo Charmander on yourself, drunk, and with no experience
- 2 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer has leaked – watch
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Front-End UI Application ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Domestic Service Only Engineers are requ...
£23600 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Employability Service withi...