Basic principles agreed in Geneva yesterday
Saturday 09 September 1995
1. Bosnia and Hercegovina will continue its legal existence with its present borders and continuing international recognition.
2. Bosnia and Hercegovina will consist of two entities, the Federation of Bosnia and Hercegovina as established by the Washington Agreements, and the Republica Srpska (RS).
2.1 The 51:49 parameter of the territorial proposal of the Contact Group is the basis for a settlement. This territorial proposal is open for adjustment by mutual agreement.
2.2 Each entity will continue to existunder its present constitution (amended to accommodate these basic principles.)
2.3 Both entities will have the right to establish parallel special relationships with neighbouring countries, consistent with the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Bosnia and Hercegovina.
2.4 The two entities will enter into reciprocal commitments a) to hold complete elections under international auspices; b) to adopt and adhere to normal international human rights standards and obligations, including the obligation to allow freedom of movement and enable displaced persons to repossess their homes or receive just compensation; c) to engage in binding arbitration to resolve disputes between them.
3. The entities have agreed in principle to the following:
3.1 The appointment of a Commission for Displaced Persons authorized to enforce (with assistance from international entities) the obligations of both entities to enable displaced persons to repossess their homes or receive just compensation.
3.2 The establishment of a Bosnia and Hercegovina Human Rights Commission, to enforce the entities' human rights obligations. The two entities will abide by the Commission's decisions.
3.3 The establishment of joint Bosnia and Hercegovina public corporations, financed by the two entities, to own and operate transportation and other facilities for the benefit of both entities.
3.4 The appointment of a Commission to Preserve National Monuments.
3.5 The design and implementation of a system of arbitration for the solution of disputes between the two entities.
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 New Tricks: Dennis Waterman to leave the show after a decade of crime-solving
Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...