Berlusconi praises judges for plans to fight graft
Wednesday 07 September 1994
The statement, his first public reaction to the proposals, were aimed at smoothing over divisions in his fragile coalition. A cabinet spokesman, Giuliano Ferrara, had earlier angered Mr Berlusconi's partners in the Northern League and the neo-fascist National Alliance, by rejecting the judges' plans.
Mr Berlusconi said he understood the anxieties felt by the prosecutor, Antonio Di Pietro, who launched the plans, and said he appreciated the 'constructive spirit' of his proposals.
The proposals would allow leniency for suspects implicated in scandal if they confessed and paid back bribe money. Those found guilty in the future would face much harsher treatment.
- 1 Germanwings crash: Police make 'significant discovery' at home of co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 2 Germanwings captain Patrick Sondenheimer tried to break into locked cockpit door 'with an axe' as plane was descending
- 3 Zayn Malik already working on solo material, just days after quitting One Direction
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
£32000 - £38000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful accountancy practice in...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped commission: SThree: Does earning a 6 figu...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A challenging opportunity for a...