Boy, 14, shoots babysitter then kills himself
Saturday 16 August 1997
Kimberly Ann Kalinowski, 22, of Livonia, Michigan, and the teenager, whom police did not name, headed north last week after the boy apparently had a fight with his mother, Michigan police said, according to the Canadian Press.
Ms Kalinowski made a phone call from Toledo, Ohio, earlier in the week, but there was no sign of the two until they were seen near Dryden, Dryden police constable Geoff Hartley said.
Police chased a car after getting an armed robbery complaint from a hotel in Wabigoon, south of Dryden. The high-speed chase ended when the car ran into a lamp-post.
Once police reached the car, they found that Ms Kalinowski and the teenager had both been shot in the head.
An autopsy showed that Ms Kalinowski, who was driving, died instantly. The teenager died shortly after the crash in a hospital.
Mr Hartley said it appeared the boy shot Ms Kalinowski before turning the gun on himself. A .22-calibre handgun was found in the vehicle, he said.
Michigan police had issued an arrest warrant for the youth on charges he had abducted the sitter.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts police caution for assault after trying to dismiss Nigella Lawson row as 'playful tiff'
Google, BT and Yahoo! agree plan to tackle child porn
Exposed: Edward Erin, the doctor whose faked asthma drug test results proved fatal
Charles Saatchi: Taking caution for holding Nigella Lawson's throat was 'better than it hanging over all of us'
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...