Britain warns of Egyptian travel risks
Friday 19 April 1996
As the implications of yesterday's massacre reverberated through the travel industry, officials upgraded previous advice to visitors to be vigilant. They warned that travellers should not visit the central part of the country, including the top tourist destination of Luxor.
A statement issued by the Foreign Office last night said: "Almost 300,000 British tourists visited Egypt in 1995 without security incident. The Egyptian authorities attach the highest priority to protecting visitors. But, as the latest attack has shown, security cannot be guaranteed and tourists appear, in this incident, to have been the deliberate target. Visitors are advised not to travel by road, rail or river to or through the Governorate of Minya, unless they have specific business there."
The massacre comes just as the country's tourism industry was recovering from the first terrorist attacks that occurred four years ago.
Despite the latest warnings Alex Woolfall, of the Association of British Travel Agents, said many would continue to go because Egypt was a unique destination. "If there is a threat from terrorism on a Caribbean island, you go to another island. But there is nowhere quite like Egypt. People want to cruise down the Nile and see the pyramids at Giza. They want the particular experience you can only get in Egypt."
Abta always passes on the latest Foreign Office advice to members and suggests that people follow the advice, Mr Woolfall said. He added that he travelled to Egypt last month.
"Militant groups have said they would target tourists since 1992 and Egyptian authorities have spent a lot of money on tourist police," he said.
"This is one isolated incident at a hotel outside Cairo. Five years ago, people would be put off by a bomb, but there has been fighting in northern Sri Lanka and people still go, and 12,000 people went to Croatia last year despite the fighting."
Ahmed Sharaf, press attache at the Egyptian embassy in London, said that they had few details of the latest incident but wanted to reassure tourists that "this is an individual attack and we don't know what the motives are. But it [Egypt] is safe".
A spokeswoman at the Egyptian Tourist Office, which has received calls from travellers anxious about the situation, said: "The advice at the moment is to carry on with their plans."
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ed Miliband's 'north London set' must be demolished to save Labour, say critics
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: SURREY MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: What do you want to do with your career? Do yo...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This company is a leading expert in immunoassa...