Burmese jam BBC
Tuesday 22 August 1995
"BBC engineers have found deliberate interference on two of the three regular short-wave radio frequencies carrying BBC Burmese-language programmes," the corporation said. Elizabeth Wright, the BBC World Service's Asia- Pacific head, said a distinctive electronic "wobble" noise was first detected in the Burmese capital, Rangoon, two weeks ago and had now been confirmed by BBC staff as jamming.
The BBC said the exact source of the noise has not been established and a spokeswoman refused to say whether the Burmese authorities might be responsible. She said the jamming began shortly after a BBC interview with the opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi was broadcast in Burma.
Ms Suu Kyi was freed last month from nearly six years of house arrest.
Ms Wright said additional frequencies for the three hours of daily Burmese- language broadcast have been allocated to try to beat the jamming. "Jamming is a practice which violates international broadcasting regulations."
- 1 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 2 Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 3 Mers outbreak: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E closes over suspected cases
- 4 Jon Snow alive? New Game of Thrones toy line suggests he's not among the dead
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: £20000 - £25000 per annum + c...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a number ...
£15000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Do you want to work for an exci...