Canberra backed raid plan
Tuesday 03 January 1995
The British plan was aimed at the destruction of Indonesian offensive air and naval capabilities in the event of a major Indonesian attack on the newly formed neighbouring federation.
It was drawn up in response to President Sukarno's attempt to "crush Malaysia" and would have seen up to 170 British, Australian and New Zealand aircraft bombing Indonesia's recently-acquired Soviet jets. The plan was one of several contingency documentsto produce a graduated response to the Indonesian policy of military confrontation. Malaysia was then subject to escalating Indonesian action which involved cross border raids into Sarawak.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...