Friday 21 February 1997
n China's annual economic output (gross national product, or GNP) is about $630bn (pounds 391bn). That makes its economy in dollar terms worth less than that of Britain.
n Only about a fifth of the population lives in cities. Around 800 million of the population are peasants.
n Per capita GNP has increased from $360 in 1980 to $530 in 1994. The richest 20 per cent of the population earns 60 times what the poorest earns.
n There were about 650,000 private firms in China, employing 8.22 million people, at the end of 1995. By 2000, private business is expected to account for about 20 per cent of output.
n Just under a quarter of the world's televisions are made in China.
n There are about 3 million people in the Chinese armed forces - slightly less than the population of Ireland.
n China borders 16 other countries. Its frontier is 13,759 miles long.
n China has an area of 3,705,408 square miles; 314 times the size of Belgium.
n The official language of China is Mandarin, spoken by 70 per cent of the population.
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
vary Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - AN OPENING AT A VERY HIGH Q...
£100 - £110 per day: Randstad Education Ilford: Nursery Manager Long term Ran...
£24000 - £25000 Per Annum plus company car and commission: Clearwater People S...
£45 - £65 per day: Randstad Education Bristol: Supply SEN Support Jobs in Bris...