Friday 21 February 1997
n China's annual economic output (gross national product, or GNP) is about $630bn (pounds 391bn). That makes its economy in dollar terms worth less than that of Britain.
n Only about a fifth of the population lives in cities. Around 800 million of the population are peasants.
n Per capita GNP has increased from $360 in 1980 to $530 in 1994. The richest 20 per cent of the population earns 60 times what the poorest earns.
n There were about 650,000 private firms in China, employing 8.22 million people, at the end of 1995. By 2000, private business is expected to account for about 20 per cent of output.
n Just under a quarter of the world's televisions are made in China.
n There are about 3 million people in the Chinese armed forces - slightly less than the population of Ireland.
n China borders 16 other countries. Its frontier is 13,759 miles long.
n China has an area of 3,705,408 square miles; 314 times the size of Belgium.
n The official language of China is Mandarin, spoken by 70 per cent of the population.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...