Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Christopher gives warning to Haiti military leaders

WASHINGTON (Reuter) - The US Secretary of State, Warren Christopher, yesterday renewed the US threat that Haiti's military regime will be forced out of power, one way or another, but said no deadline had been set for intervention.

'One way or another, the de facto government is going to be leaving,' Mr Christopher told a news conference, but he added: 'There is no specific deadline at the present time.' The Clinton administration's rhetoric on Haiti has been heating up in recent weeks, raising speculation that a US-led invasion may be imminent.

NBC News reported on Tuesday that invasion plans are on a fast track and the US might not necessarily wait for a token force from Caribbean countries to be trained before going into Haiti.