Coalition edges out Tudjman in city elections
Tuesday 15 April 1997
The disclosure reversed the order of finish reported by the state electoral commission a few hours before, in which it said the ruling HDZ had beaten the allied Social Democrats (SDP) and Social Liberals (HSLS) by a razor- thin margin.
State electoral commission chairman Ivan Mrkonjic announced the SDP had finished with 24.18 per cent and HSLS with 12.58 per cent in Sunday's election for a combined 36.76 percent while the HDZ tallied 35.67. This did not necessarily mean the opposition would take over the powerful Zagreb regional government, as the HDZ was as the biggest single vote- getter and its rivals fell short of a viable majority.
With the result so close, any change of power looked fraught with problems in a country where effective one-party rule with a democratic veneer has prevailed for decades, by communists until 1990 and by nationalists since then.
The SDP and HSLS led a seven-party bloc to victory over the HDZ in Zagreb's 1995 municipal elections. But Mr Tudjman vetoed four opposition mayoral nominees on "national security" grounds.
The President's manoeuvre was condemned in the West. Mr Tudjman argued the HDZ had won a "relative majority" while the opposition was an unstable mishmash of parties ranging from far-left to far-right.
Former rebel Serbs took part in a Croatian election for the first time but voting in the enclave of Eastern Slavonia was delayed by technical glitches.
Serbs in Eastern Slavonia, which is to be reintegrated into Croatia this summer after a period under UN protection, got an extra day to vote on Monday to compensate for organisational bungling.
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
General Election 2015: David Cameron catching up in polls – but he badly needs a clear lead
Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
South Africa xenophobic attacks: Shops looted and violence on streets of Johannesburg as foreigners are forced to hide in police stations
18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...