Elections in doubt as police and Zulus clash
At least one person was killed and eight were wounded, including three policemen, in running clashes between police and Zulu protesters in Durban in KwaZulu-Natal province on Saturday.
President Nelson Mandela expressed his "extreme concern" at the incident and said if the situation worsened, extra security forces could be sent to the province.
The violence came as negotiators were staging a last-ditch attempt to break a deadlock which could stall implementation of the country's final post-apartheid constitution.
Presidential spokesman, Joel Netshitenzhe, said the President "has expressed extreme concern about what happened in Durban yesterday. The situation is being reviewed on a continual basis and if it worsens, security forces will be sent to KwaZulu-Natal."
The cabinet has to decide whether local elections on 29 May, already delayed twice, should go ahead or be postponed again.
The African National Congress says alleged voter registration fraud and political killings and intimidation mean a fair election is impossible.
The ANC's main rival, Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi's Inkatha Freedom Party, says the ANC is just scared of losing the election in KwaZulu-Natal, where more than 14,000 people have been killed since the mid-1980s in a bloody turf war between the two parties.
Police said the province was calm but tense yesterday. "The signs are there for conflict. Since the electioneering started there has been tension," provincial police spokesman Bala Naidoo said.
Mr Buthelezi, who is also interior minister in Mr Mandela's coalition cabinet, said the elections must go ahead.
"I make this appeal to the President: for the sake of democracy ... let the 29 May elections go ahead as planned," he told supporters at an election rally.
The Zulu leader, whose party has boycotted the constitution-writing process since last year over demands for international mediation, launched a blistering attack on the draft constitution.
"Let no-one be in any doubt that this new constitution is the gravest threat to our liberty in existence.
"This new constitution is nothing less than a recipe for a one-party state," Mr Buthelezi said.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
Video: Woolwich attack - man with bloodied hands and knife addresses camera
Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.