Arms dealer's jail term angers Russia
Saturday 07 April 2012
The Kremlin has criticised a court in New York for sentencing Viktor Bout, a Russian arms dealer, to 25 years in prison, calling the ruling groundless and politically motivated and vowing to press the US to return him to Russia.
"The American judicial system, carrying out an obvious political order, ignored the arguments of the defence lawyers" in sentencing Bout, the Russian Foreign Ministry said. It added that Bout is the victim of a smear campaign and it "considers the verdict ... to be groundless and biased".
Bout, the subject of the book Merchant of Death, was convicted in November of attempting to sell heavy arms to Colombian rebels intending to attack US pilots. He intends to appeal.
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£47,334 - £59,058 per annum: Coventry University: The Centre for Agroecology, ...