British soldier killed after Mont Blanc plunge
An off-duty British soldier has died after falling 1,000 metres (3,280ft) while climbing in the Italian Alps, according to reports.
The 30-year-old man fell from a cliff on Mont Blanc, according to Italian news agency Ansa.
He reportedly began his ascent on the French side of the mountain but fell on the Italian side while descending. Italian police have confirmed that a climber died this morning.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office has confirmed that a British man has died.
A spokesman said: "We were made aware of the death of a British national in Italy on 28 August. We stand ready to provide consular assistance."
A British skier died after plunging more than 3,000 feet while tackling a famous off piste glacier in the French Alps in May.
The man was out with another skier when they were caught in a storm as they descended the challenging Vallee Blanche near Chamonix.
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...