Several British citizens could be questioned by Norwegian police as part of investigations into the mass killings by right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, a spokesman confirmed today.
The names of individuals and several groups have emerged through questioning of British anti-Muslim blogger Paul Ray as well as further questioning of Breivik and other lines of inquiry, Oslo Police said.
Press officer Roar Hanssen said: "We have some names and also some groups we are investigating.
"They came from Paul Ray, and also from Breivik and also from other things we have been investigating."
Breivik, who has admitted the the Oslo and Utoya Island attacks on July 22, was questioned again this week, with questions reportedly focusing on his anti-immigration manifesto, alleged links to a group called the Knights Templar, and potential ties to Britain.
"A lot of people are mentioned in Breivik's manifesto and we, of course, want to speak to them and there are some links to the UK," Mr Hanssen said..
"I don't know if there are specific areas they are from but there are some right-wing groups."
He said they were now deciding what to do. The people mentioned could be taken to Norway for questioning, or Norwegian police could come to the UK to speak to them.
"We can ask for help from the British police. It is not decided what we will do yet but these are possibilities," he added.
Mr Hanssen said he could not comment on whether names of people from other countries had also come out of the investigation.
Breivik admitted killing the 77 people last month when he first detonated a truck bomb outside government offices in Oslo, and then went on a meticulously-planned shooting spree at a youth camp at Utoya, 25 miles away.
But the 32-year-old denies criminal guilt because he believes the massacre was necessary to save Norway, claiming it was aimed at purging Europe of Muslims and punishing politicians who have embraced multiculturalism.
Last month thousands of people gathered in Oslo's Spektrum arena as the country concluded a month-long mourning period with a memorial service for Breivik's victims.
Norway's King Harald told the service that the country would rise above its pain, saying: "I firmly believe that we will uphold our ability to live freely and openly in our country."
Some 1,000 survivors and relatives also travelled to Utoya, accompanied by police and medical staff, to face the painful memories of the shootings.