Burka Barbie, a doll for the modern age
Tuesday 15 December 2009
Barbie has always been best-known for her revealing costumes and impossibly pneumatic figure. For her 50th birthday, though, the queen of the toy shop has apparently decided it's time to take a more modest approach. A new exhibition of the globally popular doll has her appearing in a traditional burka.
The look, which will come as a surprise to those who remember previous incarnations as an air stewardess and a French maid, is part of a Mattel-backed anniversary celebration of dolls in multicultural outfits created by the Italian designer Eliana Lorena.
"This is really important for girls, wherever they are from," Ms Lorena said. "They should have the opportunity to play with a Barbie that they feel represents them."
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...