Ceausescu's gift for extravagance – a bronze yak
Friday 27 January 2012
What do you give the dictator who had everything? A carpet depicting your family? A leopard pelt? Or maybe even a bronze yak?
These are some of the gifts given to Nicolae Ceausescu, which were to be auctioned in Bucharest yesterday. The auction – called "The Golden Age" – refers to the final years of Ceausescu's rule. The Romanian dictator was killed in an uprising in 1989.
Among the items up for grabs are the yak, given to Ceausescu by Mao Tse-tung, and golden doves received from the Shah of Iran. There are also posters, medals, photographs and flags.
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- 5 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Benefits 'smart cards' plan revealed by Iain Duncan Smith to stop claimants spending welfare money on alcohol
- < Previous
- Next >
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Uncapped OTE: SThree: SThree Group have been well ...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + OTE: SThree: Real Staffing Group is seeking Traine...
£120 - £140 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: We have an exciting opportunity...
Competitive: Randstad Education Manchester: SEN Teacher urgently required for ...