Channel Tunnel service resumes after mass break-in

Eurotunnel said the break-in was made by a "large and very co-ordinated group"

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Eurotunnel are partially resuming services after more than 100 migrants and refugees trespassed the tunnel causing shuttle trains to be suspended.

Several Channel Tunnel staff and two police officers are believed to have been injured after a “large and co-ordinated” group breached the tracks at Calais at around 12:30 am.

A Eurotunnel spokesman claimed workers were hurled to the ground and had stones thrown at them.

Police have reportedly arrested 100 people in connection with the incident.

The spokesman said: “They ran through the terminal, knocking some staff to the ground and throwing stones at them."

"There are some minor injuries to staff and also two police officers. They were treated at the scene by paramedics”

Police have now removed the group and taken them into custody, according to the spokesman.

It is believed around 200 people tried to storm the tunnel but 80 were held back by security staff.

"It's clearly an organised attack when it comes in such a large number," the spokesman said.

“They arrived together and in a well-organised manner broke through the fences and all clearly knew where they were going."

Services have now resumed, but passengers have been warned of lengthy delays. The eastbound exit for Eurotunnel on the M20 has also reopened and traffic is being diverted.

Affected passengers will be able to use their tickets on the ferry during the disruption. Passengers are advised to avoid travelling today if possible.

Eurotunnel has implemented extra security to try and prevent people getting onto the tracks. The area where the break-in occurred is currently having high security fencing installed, they said.

Thirteen people have died trying to reach Britain since June.

An Eritrean man in his 20s. killed on Wednesday was believed to have been hit by a freight train near the tunnel entrance.

Early on Tuesday morning a 20-year-old Iraqi man was crushed to death after allegedly sneaking on board a lorry to reach the UK.

Additional reporting by Press Association