Close result likely in Polish vote
Opinion polls have given the centre-right, pro-business candidate, Donald Tusk, a slim lead over Warsaw's conservative mayor, Lech Kaczynski. Both have their roots in the Solidarity movement, which helped to bring down Communism in the 1980s.
Neither was expected to win outright and be able to avoid a second ballot in two weeks.
Yesterday's election follows parliamentary elections in which the two right-wing parties crushed the centre-left outgoing government, with Mr Kaczynski's party winning the most seats. The two parties are trying to form a coalition.
Mr Tusk's Civic Platform has campaigned for less red tape and taxes, while the more populist Mr Kaczynski and his Law and Justice party want greater state involvement in job creation.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...