Fire crews tackle major blaze near to Athens
Sunday 17 June 2012
A major fire south of the Greek capital is raging for the second day, with gale-force winds hampering firefighting efforts.
More than 150 firefighters and soldiers using more than 60 vehicles were battling the blaze south of Athens, along with two water-dropping planes and a helicopter.
Greece has also asked Italy, France and Croatia for help in the form of more firefighting planes.
Three firefighters were injured. Four people have been arrested for accidentally causing the blaze during welding work at a construction site.
By last night, the fire was raging on a 7.5-mile front to the west and south of the town of Keratea, 30 miles south of Athens.
The blazes were being fought as Greeks voted in a national election that could determine whether their indebted nation stays in the euro.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...