Flowers laid in honour of Armenian victims
Monday 25 April 2011
Hundreds of thousands of Armenians laid flowers yesterday at a monument to the victims of mass killings by Ottoman Turks.
On the 96th anniversary of the start of the slaughter, President Serge Sarkisian said that Armenia now strives for peace with Turkey. "Nevertheless, the official policy of Turkey carries on with denial," he said.
Historians estimate up to 1.5 million Armenians were killed by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I. Turkey denies genocide, claiming the figures are inflated.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela dead: South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon dies at 95
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: Whether your looking for a f...
£11 - £12 per hour: Morgan Hunt: SpirALS Administrator - College - Start ASAP ...
£43000 - £65000 per annum + Excellent Benefits & Bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group:...
£70000 - £80000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...