Four Eta suspects arrested in France
The suspected leader of the Basque separatist group Eta's armed cells and three other alleged members of the organisation were arrested in France, Spanish and French officials said yesterday.
The arrests came in a joint raid on Thursday night by French and Spanish police in Willencourt in northern France's Pas-de-Calais region, officials said. Spain-based Eta members often hide out in France, which co-operates closely with Madrid in hunting suspects.
Eta declared a ceasefire in September and in January called it permanent, raising hopes for an end to Europe's last armed political militancy. But the Spanish government is insisting Eta dissolve outright and is ruling out talks. It says it will not let up against Eta, and continues to make arrests.
One of the four arrested is Alejandro Zobaran Arriola, 29, who is described as the head of Eta's "military apparatus". Another is the alleged logistics chief, Mikel Oroz Torrea, 31.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...