Germany pushes forward plan to seek far-right ban
Thursday 06 December 2012
Germany's state governors have backed plans to seek a ban on the country's only significant far-right party — pushing the case a step closer to Germany's highest court.
All 16 state governors agreed to apply to the Federal Constitutional Court for a ban on the National Democratic Party, which they say promotes a racist, anti-constitutional agenda. Their interior ministers recommended the move yesterday.
A previous ban attempt failed embarrassingly a decade ago when it emerged paid government informants were partially responsible for evidence against the party. That long made officials wary of trying again.
The federal government hasn't yet committed to joining the ban application, which isn't legally necessary. Chancellor Angela Merkel said officials have put together "a very impressive collection of facts" but the application also carries risks.
- 1 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
- 5 Hello Kitty is not a cat after all
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: CITY - An excellent new instruction w...
£500 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server Developer SQL, PHP, C#, Real Time,...
£600 per day: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer C#, Win Forms, WPF, WCF, MVVM...