IKEA founder had Nazi Youth ties for years, author claims
Friday 26 August 2011
A new book has claimed that the founder of the IKEA chain, Ingvar Kamprad, had youth ties with Nazi groups for longer than he admitted, saying Sweden's intelligence agency even set up a special file on him.
Elisabeth Asbrink, a respected Swedish author and journalist, claims that Mr Kamprad joined the Swedish Nazi party in 1943 when he was 17, prompting the security police to set up a file on him the same year. Ms Asbrink also claims in her book, And in Wienerwald the Trees Remain, that he was in contact with Nazi sympathisers until at least 1950, two years longer than Mr Kamprad had acknowledged.
Per Heggenes, a spokesman for IKEA, said that Mr Kamprad regards his Nazi involvement as the "biggest mistake" of his life. "There are no Nazi-sympathising thoughts in Ingvar's head whatsoever," Mr Heggenes said.
The Swedish intelligence service refused referred calls about the documents to the national archives. Calls to the archives went unanswered.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£700 - £800 per day: Harrington Starr: Technical Programme Manager, (Static Da...
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: MI Reporting Developer Oracle, SQL, PL...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Java Developer...