Inventor of the Etch A Sketch dies aged 86
Sunday 03 February 2013
The inventor of the Etch A Sketch, the famous red toy that generations of children drew on, shook up and started over, has died in France.
The Ohio Art Company based in Bryan in north-west Ohio, USA, said 86-year-old Andre Cassagnes died on January 16 in a Paris suburb. The cause wasn't disclosed.
Ohio Art president Larry Killgallon said the company will always be grateful for an invention that brought joy to so many.
The Toy Industry Association says Mr Cassagnes came upon the Etch A Sketch idea in the late 1950s. He peeled a translucent decal from a light switch plate and found pencil mark images transferred to the opposite face.
The toy, with its gray screen and red frame, has two knobs that are twisted to create drawings. A shake erases the image.
More than 100 million units have been sold.
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...