Italy: Scholars study evidence of a married Jesus
Thursday 20 September 2012
Evidence that early Christians believed Jesus was married was being questioned by scholars yesterday.
Karen King, a professor at Harvard Divinity School, said this week that she had found the evidence on a fragment of fourth-century papyrus. The text contained dialogue in which Jesus referred to "my wife", whom he identified as Mary.
Professor King announced the finding at an international congress on Coptic studies in Rome. She said the fragment of Coptic script was a copy of a gospel, probably written in Greek in the second century.
Wolf-Peter Funk, a Coptic linguist at Laval University in Quebec, said there were "thousands of scraps of papyrus where you find crazy things", and many questions remained unanswered about the fragment.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Ten best places to live in the UK: Solihull comes top
Paul Walker autopsy: Results reveal Fast and Furious star's cause of death
Mysterious glowing ‘alien-like creature’ spotted in waters of Bristol Harbour. A jellyfish - or something fishy?
From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL CSS Develop...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£21000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Graduate QA/Graduate T...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: PHP Developer (MySQL, ...