Italy: Scholars study evidence of a married Jesus
Thursday 20 September 2012
Evidence that early Christians believed Jesus was married was being questioned by scholars yesterday.
Karen King, a professor at Harvard Divinity School, said this week that she had found the evidence on a fragment of fourth-century papyrus. The text contained dialogue in which Jesus referred to "my wife", whom he identified as Mary.
Professor King announced the finding at an international congress on Coptic studies in Rome. She said the fragment of Coptic script was a copy of a gospel, probably written in Greek in the second century.
Wolf-Peter Funk, a Coptic linguist at Laval University in Quebec, said there were "thousands of scraps of papyrus where you find crazy things", and many questions remained unanswered about the fragment.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...