Jewish organisations denounce Estonian newspaper over concentration camp advert for weight-loss pills
Jewish organisations have denounced an Estonian newspaper for publishing a mock ad for weight-loss pills depicting emaciated prisoners at a Nazi concentration camp.
Efraim Zuroff of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre in Jerusalem called the mock ad in the Eesti Ekspress weekly a "perverted attempt at humour at the expense of the Nazis' millions of victims".
Alla Jakobson, spokeswoman for Estonia's Jewish community, said in newspaper Postimees that the incident shows Estonian society is experiencing "major problems with moral and ethical values".
Sulev Vedler, deputy editor of Eesti Ekspress, said the mock ad, which ran in the paper's humour section, was poking fun at an Estonian gas company that recently used an image of Auschwitz to promote its services.
Mr Vedler said the ad "was not targeted against Jewish people".
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cambridge: Seeking Humanities teachers who are ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cambridge: Maths Teaching within Secondary Scho...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Randstad Education is the market le...