Karadzic to boycott war crimes trial opening
Friday 23 October 2009
The former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic has told judges he will boycott the start of his trial for war crimes next week.
Charged with 11 counts, including genocide, over the 1992-95 Bosnian war, Mr Karadzic filed a submission informing the court in The Hague that he would not appear in court for the scheduled opening of his trial on Monday.
"This process is not ready to start, simply because the defence was not granted sufficient time and resources to prepare," he said in a letter to the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
The tribunal said yesterday that the trial – one of the biggest it has handled – would go ahead as planned. However, Alexander Knoops, an international criminal law professor at Utrecht University, said the most likely scenario was that the tribunal suspends the case before or on Monday and enters into a compromise with Mr Karadzic, who tried unsuccessfully last week to have the trial delayed for 10 months.
Emergency landing at Heathrow sparks further controversy over London airport capacity
Unrest may spread across Europe, warns Red Cross chief
French government seeks to ban extreme right-wing group
BNP and EDL accused of attempt to fuel racial hatred after Woolwich terror attack
You want to get an Eton scholarship? All you need to do is answer four (not so simple) questions
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.