Language problem hits papal decree
Wednesday 13 October 2010
Pope Benedict XVI has formally created a new Vatican office to revive Christianity in Europe – his latest attempt to counter secular trends in traditionally Christian countries. But even on its first day, the Pontifical Council for the New Evangelisation ran into an all-too-typical Vatican snag: the four-page decree instituting the department was issued in only Latin and Italian.
Asked how the Pope expected to bring the Church's message to the world in relatively unknown languages, the head of the new office, Monsignor Rino Fisichella, said he was not responsible for how the decree was issued.
Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
The ten coldest places on Earth
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Krokodil in Mexico? Teenager hospitalised after 'injecting drug into her genitals'
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£320 - £350 per day + extension beyond: PCR Recruitment Limited: Systems Engin...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: This company delivers display ad...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: 1st/2nd Line Suppo...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Internal Audit Ma...