One dead as earthquake strikes Greece
Tuesday 15 July 2008
The Athens Geodynamic Institute says a strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck near the Greek island of Rhodes.
One woman was killed when she slipped and fell as she tried to flee her home. However, the earthquake did not cause any major damage.
The Geodynamic Institute said the quake struck at 6.26 am (0326GMT) today and had an epicentre 275 miles southeast of Athens, beneath the seabed south of Rhodes.
The US Geological Survey gave the magnitude as 6.4.
Residents and tourists fled their homes and hotels in panic. Local media said a 56-year-old woman died when she struck her head after slipping on a staircase as she tried to flee.
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Life on Earth may have developed below rather than above ground, reveal scientists
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£85000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Top 15 Firm - Qualified AC...
Salary £35-50K Plus Generous Benefits Package including Car,Pension ,and Health...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Capita Education Resou...
£2000 - £25500 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: We are seeking an ...